1. Standard charge (at home or at the office at 3.7 kW)

2. Standard fast charge (at home or at a public area at 7.4 kW)

3. Fast and semi-fast charge (at public areas and at EV charging stations at 22-50 kW)


 

 1. STANDARD charge (3.7 kW 16A single-phase)

 

Standard charge is the most common at households and offices at low power values and takes about 6-8 hours to completely charge your electric car.

In every household, there is usually a single-phase current connection at a voltage of 230V. Depending on the power the car demands or the maximum power of the electric charging point, there will be a certain current value. In the majority of the installed household charging points the power is 3.7 kW. Considering this power value, a vehicle will need about 6 full hours to completely recharge. However, it depends on the capacity of the vehicle’s battery, but one can set a reference value of approximately 22-24 kWh, which is the most common value amongst electric vehicles nowadays. If the charge is done with a Schuko socket, the maximum current will be 10A and the vehicle will be fully recharged in 10 hours.

standard-charge


 

2. FAST STANDARD charge (7.4 kW 32A single-phase)

 

Fast standard charge is most commonly used in public spaces and offices. It takes about 3 hours to completely recharge an electric vehicle.

This charge type normally uses 32 amps of current at a 230V voltage, therefore, the charging power is about 7.4 kW. If, for any circumstance a certain household has enough contracted power, this option is undoubtedly the best.

fast-charge


 

 3. SEMI-FAST or FAST charge (22-50 kW AC-DC)

 

Semi-fast charges are usually found in offices and public spaces, and they take just over an hour for a full charge (at a power between 11 and 22 kW).

In general, fast charge is performed at 50 kW and it takes about 25 minutes to charge 80% of an electric car battery. The remaining 20% takes another 20 minutes to be completed.

These estimations depend on the capacity of the  electric vehicle’s battery and on the battery’s state before the charge.

The semi-fast charge can be performed in both direct and alternating current, it will depend on the vehicle, you can check here how different electric car models charge their batteries. Almost every electric vehicle can be charged in fast or semi-fast modes in direct current. However, some brands, such as Renault, perform their battery charges in alternating current. The famous Tesla S model, for example, can charge in semi-fast (22 kW) in alternating current and in super-fast (120 kW) in direct current.

rapid-charging